Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099487.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 16:03:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 32296 37611



9/152 Urishay Chapel

17/1/49 GV II*

Former private chapel. Early C12, extended late C12, with C16 and C17 alterations, restorations: 1911 and 1982/84. Rubble, stone slate roof. Early C12 nave, chancel added late C12 replacing apse, nave ruinous, 1980's rendered concrete block wall about one metre west of chancel arch. Chancel: north wall: priest's door with semi-circular head, late C20 ledged door; east end: probably early C16 window with 4-centred head; south wall: to east a small window with semi-circular head, to west square-headed window, probably C17. Nave: north wall: a narrow square-headed light, former semi-circular head, at east of wall; south wall: probably C16 window with pointed head to east end, south door at west end with semi-circular head; west wall: 2 single light square-headed windows at different heights, probably C17, the north window incorporating a reset lintel from a window of 2 square-headed lights. Interior: chancel: remains in east wall of outer jambs of late C12 east window; chancel arch a simple timber lintel, roof late C20. Fittings: nave retains C19 font base; north door: decorative strap hinges and latch, C17. Medieval altar slab with 5 consecration crosses. The chapel belonged to Urishay Castle, which lies immediately to the south. In care of Friends of Friendless Churches. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (RCHM 1, pp 211/212, no 2; Reid 1980, p 62. Information from R Shoesmith).

Listing NGR: SO3229637611


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 211-212


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09056/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Amanda Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].