CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099515
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099515.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:31:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bredwardine
National Grid Reference:
SO 33476 44500

Details

SO 34 SW BREDWARDINE CP BREDWARDINE

6/13 Church of St Andrew 26/1/57

GV II*

Parish church. Early C12, C14, late C18, restored 1875. Sandstone rubble with tufa and sandstone dressings, tile roof. Early C14 chancel at angle to early C12 nave, late C18 north tower. Chancel entirely early C14 with a restored window of 2 trefoiled lights in south wall, and mid-C14 triangular headed priests' door to west of it; east wall: 3 trefoiled lights; north wall: single ogee-trefoiled light window, corners buttressed. Nave: west portion has 2 small early C12 windows under semi-circular heads flanking the C19 timber south porch, within which is the C12 south door with engaged shafts and carved cushion capitals below a semi-circular arch and plain tympanum, the lintel is carved with geometrical designs; eastern portion of south wall is mid-C14 with a window of 3 cinquefoiled lights under a 2 centred head; west wall: string course beneath a much restored semi-circular headed window, below are traces of a blocked west door; north wall: some herringbone masonry low down in wall, above are 2 semi-circular headed windows, below the western one the blocked C12 north door, similar to south door with carved lintel which includes 2 grotesque monsters. Tower: 2 stages on chamfered plinth, with moulded string course; single lancets to each stage, crenellated parapet. Interior: nave: 2 corbels in mid-C14 south wall, for rood screen (?). Chancel: 2 recumbent effigies of knights, late C14 against north wall, circa 1450 alabaster against south wall. Font: large round bowl of Breccia supported on a central and four subsidiary shafts, late C12; cover: C17 with pierced finial. Roofs: C19 king post trusses. Reredos, pews, pulpit and all the usual fittings belong to the 1875 restoration. (RCHM I, pp 25/26).

Listing NGR: SO3347644500

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153634
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 25-26

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13632/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Reed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].