CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099585
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099585.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:09:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Devereux
National Grid Reference:
SO4408931220

Details

ST DEVEREUX CP - SO 43 SW 2/47 Church of St Dubricius 26.1.67 II*

Parish church. C13 nave, C14 west tower and late C14 chancel; mid- to late C19 restoration. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; C20 concrete tiled roof. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel. West tower of three stages with upper stages markedly offset above ground stage, plain parapet, square headed loop to west side of ground stage, pointed head to loop on second stage above, two trefoil-headed lights to 2-centred arch headed opening to each side of bell stage. Nave: largely restored lancet to left with similar window and further window with two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in roundel to right of C19 gabled timber-framed porch and 2-centred arched headed doorway with chamfered jambs. The north wall has one 2-light C19 window to right of blocked north doorway and a single lancet and a 2-light C13 window to the left. Chancel: square headed windows with two trefoiled ogee headed lights flank late C15 or early C16 doorway with chamfered jambs and 4-centred head. There are two similar windows to the north side. Restored C14 east window with three trefoiled ogee headed lights with tracery and a 2-centred head. Interior: C15 or C16 font with octagonal bowl and splayed underside. Octagonal stem and square base. C14 piscina in chancel with chamfered and rebated 2-centred head, damaged quatrefoiled bowl. Tomb recesses in north and south walls of nave with low segmental pointed arches. Monuments: on west wall, Thomas Goode, died 1664, with coat of arms, cherub heads and scrolled bolection mould surround. Ann Goode, 1668, with figure and cherub heads and scrolled bolection mould surround. The church contains many other, mostly C19, memorials to Goode family in chancel. (RCHM, Vol I, p 223 -224; BoE, p 283-284).

Listing NGR: SO4408931220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155582
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 223-224
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 283-284

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06296/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].