CHURCH OF ST MARY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1099723
Date first listed: 30-Apr-1986
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099723 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Mar-2019 at 17:06:42.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Tretire with Michaelchurch
National Grid Reference: SO 52030 23934
TRETIRE WITH MICHAELCHURCH CP TRETIRE
SO 52 SW
6/137 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1856 (BoE), probably on medieval site. Square sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings and tiled roofs. Early Decorated style. Three-and-half-bay nave, two-bay chancel, south vestry and south porch. Nave has octagonal stone bell-turret, overhanging western verge supported on foliated corbel on west gable, with pyramidical roof, small buttresses and gablets to each angle; west window has two trefoil-headed lights and tracery under a trefoiled label with head stops; north wall has three windows, the western one of two trefoiled lights with sexfoil tracery, the eastern similar but with quatrefoil tracery and the central one a single trefoil- headed light; to the east of the south wall is a 2-light trefoiled window under a 2-centred head with quatrefoil tracery; next to the south porch is a single trefoiled light. Chancel has two trefoiled single-light windows each with a 2-centred head, labels and headstops in north wall; east window has three trefoiled lights with quatrefoil and cinquefoil tracery under a chamfered 2-centred arch with label and head stops beneath which is a moulded string course with foliated end stops; south window is another trefoiled single light; vestry has 2-centred eastern doorway to right of a single trefoiled light, its south wall has a pair of trefoiled lights under quatre- foiled gable opening; to the left of the gable is a stack with an octagonal shaft. South porch has weathered side buttresses, chamfered 2-centred outer arch with moulded label and head stops, pyramidal stops to the bottom of the jambs, and two trefoiled openings in the east side with chamfered 2- centred inner arches, softwood collar truss. South doorway has 2-centred double chamfered head dying into jambs which have pyramidal stops to their bases. Interior has nave roof with three-and-half-bay alternating system of roof trusses in which major divisions have corbelled arch braces supporting collars and minor ones have simple collar trusses; above all the collars are two vertical posts to principals and one to ridge. Chancel has boarded roof, the stained glass in east window depicts The Last Supper, tracery lights of Agnus Dei and two angels; indented plaque for Thomas Ross, died 1722; mid-C19 table with trefoiled open panels and no bottom rail; chancel arch is 2-centred of two orders with inner one dying into jambs. Nave has C19 stone part-octagonal pulpit with trefoiled panels, c1900 harmonium in pine by Dale, Forty & Co; C19 font has angled corners to square plinths, central large moulded columnar stem surrounded by four detached marble columns supporting square bowl with moulded top and two trefoils to each side; C15 octagonal font bowl with chamfered edge; late C17 communion table near harmonium has moulded top and rails; lancet squint-like opening into vestry which is separated from chancel by a 2-centred arch with trefoil-headed openings and mulded columns. Vestry has tapered coffin lid probably C13 or C14 with incised interlaced circular pattern, fireplace with chamfered 2-centred opening and raised cast iron basket.
(RCHM Vol. I p. 239)
Listing NGR: SO5203023934
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 155294
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 239
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing