CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099844
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099844.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:48:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lugwardine
National Grid Reference:
SO 55090 41034

Details

LUGWARDINE CP LUGWARDINE SO 5441 - 5541 8/122 Church of St Peter 26.1.67 GV II* Parish church. C13 and late C14 with survival of C12 window, additions and restoration of 1871-2 by F R Kempson. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, tiled roofs. West tower; nave with north aisle including former north transept to east, vestry to east, south aisle including south transept to east; chancel with south chapel. Late C14 west tower, three stages, moulded plinth, two string courses and embattled parapet, stepped diagonal buttressing; single trefoil-headed light in square surround to second stage, 2-light window with trefoil ogee-headed lights and quatre- foil to bell stage; entrance to west, 4-centred arch in square head with cusped spandrels; nave, south front with two gables of south aisle and former south transept, 3-light C19 window to each gable end, reset light with semi-circular head to west return of south aisle; north transept retains restored late C14 window of three trefoiled ogee-headed lights; chancel: C19 chapel to south with single trefoil headed light to left of gable with two similar larger lights with continuous label, roundel in gable, a partially blocked C13 window in chancel of single trefoil-headed light to right of C19 chapel, north front of dhancel retains four restored and partially altered similar single trefoil-headed lights. Interior: trussed rafter roof to nave, probably C19, four-bay nave with C19 arcades to north and south, further C19 two-bay arcades aligned north/south dividing north aisle and north transept and similarly to south aisle and transept; late C19 tower arch of two orders, inner moulded and outer hollow chamfered, C19 chancel arch. C19 fittings. Monuments In west tower against south wall monument to William Reed, Sheriff and J P, 1634, large freestone monument with base, effigy and canopy, four kneeling figures to base in contemporary dress, semi-reclining effigy with head propped on elbow also in contemporary dress, semi-circular surround to rear panel with rectangular inscription panel and decorative detail, coats of arms above inscription panel and in spandrels formed by semi-circular surround; canopy supported on Ionic columns with entablature and further decorated by shields of arms, large shield with arms above canopy; west wall of south aisle, wall tablet to Jane Best, 1622, brass inscription plate with columned wooden surround; south wall of south transept, wall monument to John Best, 1637, stone demi- figure preaching in clerical costume above rectangular inscription panel with slate inset. (BoE, p 243; RCHM Vol II, pp 122-124).

Listing NGR: SO5509141034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154972
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 122-124
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 243

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/06530/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].