CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099882
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:53:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Dormington
National Grid Reference:
SO 58320 40196

Details

DORMINGTON CP DORMINGTON SO 54 SE 2/14 Church of St Peter 26.1.67 GV II* Parish church. Late C13 substantially restored 1877 by Blashill. Coursed and dressed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, tiled roofs, shingle to bell-turret. Nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry. Three-bay nave with raised verges and three stepped buttresses, two lights with cusped heads to right of gabled porch, bell-turret to west with small broach spire and simple lucarnes, panel with row of cinquefoil shaped vents below spire; two-bay chancel with raised verge and two pairs of trefoil-headed lights. Interior: trussed rafter roof possibly retaining some C17 members. Chancel arch of two chamfered orders with heavy imposts and chamfered responds. Font, possibly C13, circular stem on square base, circular bowl with moulded rim and necking. Monuments: south wall of nave wall monument commemorating Margaret Carpender, died 1666, stone, broken pedi- ment supported by draped allegorical figures; north wall of nave, wall monument commemorating John Brydges, died 1668, stone open scrolled pediment supported on twisted columns, drapery and garland below. The Norman door knocker and the wall painting on the west wall mentioned by Pevsner and the RCHM are now absent. (RCHM Vol II, p 70-71; BoE, p 115).

Listing NGR: SO5832040196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154869
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 115

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06697/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les M. Kedward. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].