STONE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1099902
Date first listed:
01-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
STONE CASTLE, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STONE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099902.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:34:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
STONE CASTLE, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dartford (District Authority)
Parish:
Stone
National Grid Reference:
TQ 58395 74061

Details

1. 5274 STONE LONDON ROAD (south side)

Stone Castle TQ 57 SE 4/67 1.8.52

II

2. Now offices of the Blue Circle Group. Mediaeval and circa 1825. In the south-east corner of the building is a mediaeval, probably late C12, square tower of 3 storeys faced with knapped flints with some stone quoins. Parapet over it. Two arrow slit windows in the north wall and a circular stair turret. The other windows are modern. To the north-west of this is a house of circa 1825 which was altered by Henry Hakewill (died 1830). Two storeys 5 windows. Faced with knapped flints with long and short quoins of yellow brick. Stone stringcourse and cornice. Castellated parapet of knapped flints. Spindly stock brick clustered chimney stacks. Twin sash windows with dripstones over them. Projection of 3 storeys in the centre with similar quoins at its angles, porch on the ground floor containing a 4-centred arch, machicolation at the top and castellated parapet over. The west front has 7 windows and 2 bays of 3 windows each on both floors with similar quoins at the angle of each face. The interior has some trefoil-headed panelling of circa 1830. In the C16 the controller of Calais, Sir John Wyllshire lived here and Cardinal Wolsey is reputed to have stayed here on his way to Calais.

Listing NGR: TQ5704675064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172701
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/11662/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey Farrow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].