CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099966
Date first listed:
22-Apr-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, LOAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099966.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:28:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, LOAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wyre Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Bewdley
National Grid Reference:
SO 78578 75310

Details

SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP LOAD STREET

13/109 Church of St Anne

22.4.50

GV II*

Chapel, now parish church. 1695 - 6, tower, with rest of church 1745 - 8, some late C19 and late C20 repairs, by Thomas Woodward of Worcester and Richard Woodward of Chipping Campden. Ashlar with hipped machine tile roof. West tower, nave with aisles under one roof, chancel. West tower: four stages, balustraded parapet with an urn at each corner, bands to second and third stages, quoined; projecting square plan stair turret at south-west corner, third stage (belfry) has a louvred window with 4-centred head to each side, with clock face below; second stage and first stage has semi-circular headed windows with moulded architraves, entrance on south side; south aisle: five bays defined by flat pilasters, balustraded parapet, moulded cornice and moulded plinth, windows have semi-circular heads and moulded architraves with keystone and impost blocks, window in west bay has a high sill with entrance below, restored C20 stone architrave, C18 2-leaf door with raised and fielded panels; north aisle: similar to south aisle; chancel: one bay with window similar to aisles but of smaller size, balustraded parapet with moulded cornice above, east window: Venetian window. Interior: nave: five-bay arcade formed by Doric columns, segmental plaster ceiling, flat ceiling to aisles with moulded cornice, gallery to west end has raised and fielded panels to front. Chancel arch segmental with keystone, east window has fluted Ionic pilasters and decorative key- stone, C19 decorative plaster ceiling. Fittings: cut-down C18 pews, panelled C18 oak pulpit with simple inlay. Stone tablet re-set in north-east corner of north aisle inscribed: "Ric: Woodward/ Campden in Glos/ 1745". The parish of Bewdley was separated from Ribbesford in 1853. (VCH 4, p 314; BoE, pp 84 - 85; H Colvin, 1978, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London, p 915).

Listing NGR: SO7857875310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
156753
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 915
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 314
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 84-85

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05829/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Williamson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].