Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100010.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 21:36:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Redditch (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 04815 67583


REDDITCH B GRANGE ROAD (east side) SP 0467 NE St George's 13/84 Grange Works


Includes No 75 (Grange House) Beoley Road (north side), St George's. Needlemill and fish hook and leather factory; now divided into spring factory and small units. Mid-C19. Red brick with yellow brick dressings; plain tiled roof; central and end ridge stacks with blue brick caps. Three storeys; impost band to ground and first floor; dentilled eaves cornice and pedimented gable ends. 6:2:5 bays; windows on ground and first floors have round heads; second floor windows have cambered heads; multi-paned metal windows with stone sills throughout; C20 door inserted into seventh bay. blind circular openings in gable ends. At rear central gabled wing projects from the central two bays; ground and first floor round-headed window, door inserted into round-headed opening to left; gable end is pedimented and con- tains a circular opening. At south gable end is a wing with a shallow pitched, partly hipped slate roof and two stacks to rear roof; two storeys with first floor impost band and dentilled eaves cornice; five bays; first floor windows are similar to those of main building; on ground floor is a blocked window and archway, both with cambered heads, and a C20 door. At south end the building returns to east as Grange House. brick with slate roof and end stacks. Two storeys with blue brick plinth and moulded eaves cornice. Three bays; outer bays of ground floor have canted bay windows with a modillion cornice; first floor windows have rusticated lintels; all windows have moulded architraves and have round-headed upper panes; mainly 6-pane sashes; central first floor window is a 4-pane sash; right first floor window has an inserted C20 cross-casement. Central entrance has an open pediment, engaged columns, a half-glazed door and a traceried fanlight. Wing adjoin- ing west gable end (and south end of mill range) has a shallow-pitched slate roof, hipped at end with central ridge stack; two storeys with moulded eaves cornice continuing from house; single bay; first floor has a 16-pane sash window with a rusticated lintel; door with cambered head and large double doors below. Elevation to Grange Road has a first floor multi-paned metal window with a cambered head. In the C19 the factory was known as Neptune Works, was occupied by W Smith and Sons, a manufacturer of mainly needles but who also produced fish hooks and leather goods. The mill and adjoining owner's house are well-detailed and survive in a relatively un-altered con- dition to form a compact and interesting group. (See also British Mills and No 80 (qv). [Needle District Almanack 1896-1900 (Trades Directory); N Land, A History of Redditch and the Locality, Brewin Books, 1984, p 34-50].

Listing NGR: SP0481567583


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Land, N , A History of Redditch and the Locality, (1984), 34-50
'Trades Directory' in Needle District Almanack, (1900)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12323/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].