DODFORD PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1100095
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
DODFORD PRIORY, PRIORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DODFORD PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 16:04:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
DODFORD PRIORY, PRIORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Bromsgrove (District Authority)
Parish:
Dodford with Grafton
National Grid Reference:
SO 93255 72834

Details

SO 97 SW DODFORD WITH GRAFTON CP PRIORY ROAD (east side) Dodford

9/96 Dodford Priory (Formerly listed as Dodford 23.4.52 Priory incorporating remains of Augustinian Priory)

GV II*

Priory, rebuilt as farmhouse, now house. C12 origins, altered and extended late C16 and early C17; further alterations of mid-C19 and late C20. Part coursed dressed sandstone rubble, part brick and part timber-framed with painted and rendered brick infill; plain tiled roofs. L-plan; main part of four bays aligned east/west, large external sandstone chimney with three diagonal brick stacks to south elevation, also large internal chimney to south of centre with two diagonal brick stacks projecting from south roof pitch; large C19 stack at west end; wing of two framed bays adjoins east end and has a large central chimney with two star-shaped ridge stacks. Two storeys, attic and cellar. Framing: north-east wing has three rows of panels at first floor level, some close-set studding at south end; long straight braces in lower corners and collar and tie-beam trusses with struts and V- struts in each apex; main part has similar trusses at gable ends, close-set struts at west end and with two collars at east end. Main north elevation: windows in main part are all C19 casements of three lights with transoms and irregularly spaced; three ground floor windows (one with cambered head) and four first floor windows; main entrance to right of centre has a C20 gabled glazed timber porch and narrow C17 door within. Attic lights in gable ends. North-east wing has a cellar door with a cambered head, a 3-light ground floor casement, a blocked first floor window and a pair of attic lights in its north gable end; there are two blocked first floor windows and a half-glazed C20 door in the angle with the main part. Interior: heavy beamed ceilings throughout and large fireplaces. North-east wing has an open well staircase with spiral balusters and moulded handrail; on the first floor are the remains of wall paint- ings (still mainly beneath limewash). On the south-west side of the building is a chamfered pointed doorway which survives from the original priory. This was founded in c1184 for Augustinian canons and was then granted to Halesowen Abbey in 1464. The manor and priory were passed to the Dudley family in 1538 and later to the Wylde family. Dodford Priory stands on a former moated..site. (VCH 3 (i), p 26; BoE, p 132).

Listing NGR: SO9325572834

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
156359
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 26
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 132

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].