Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100372.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2020 at 21:23:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dacorum (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 05451 15430


FLAMSTEAD CHEVERELLS GREEN TL 01 NE (East side) 2/5 Cheverells and attached 26.1.67 stables (formerly listed as Cheverell's Park) GV II*

Dower house to Beechwood Park estate, now a separate country house. Circa 1693 for Saunders family; 'Wm. Willingdon 1706' scratched on LH bay of S front which is in a different style; alterations to attached coachhouse range in C19 as service wing; alterations, SE extension and new NW porch with bay window in position of former entrance 1911 for Sir Edgar Saunders-Sebright. Red brick, Bath stone porch and front bay, hipped old red tile roofs. A large square compact house of 2-storeys facing W with lower 2-storeys long service/coachhouse extending N from NE corner and contemporary large 2-storeys hipped stables block extending to W and facing N. At SE an extension of S garden front to E in similar style and height. Symmetrical W front in header-bond, of 7 windows closely spaced, rusticated brick Doric clasping corner pilasters with triglyph and full entablature, to each. Cornice continuous across front below stone balustraded parapet having dies over 2nd, 4th, and 6th windows with urns on each. Segmental rubbed brick arches to segmental headed flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes (upper LH 2 are dummies). Brick keystones to alternate windows: shaped brick apron to alternate windows: rectangular aprons with guttae brackets to others. Symmetrically placed internal chimneys. Large central single-storey stone semi-octagonal bay window with balustrade and 4 ball caps, at position of former entrance. Pilastered and balustraded Bath stone Doric porch at new entrance on N side of house with panelled double doors and round-arched doorway. S front to garden has similar rusticated Doric corner pilasters in red brick with cut brick triglyphs, with gadrooned urns over on the dies of the stuccoed balustraded parapet. Symmetrical arrangement of 3 windows, 2 2-storeys semi-octagonal bays in grey brick header-bond with red brick dressings and flat gauged arches, flank a semi-circular, single-storey bay, all with casement windows. The bay windows are probably an addition of c.1700. Tall 2-lights casement windows. Matching RH extension has similar rusticated pilaster, urn and parapet, being of 2-storeys, cellar and attic. Long N service range has on W a wide 3-centred arched carriage entrance, now blocked, with stepped stone keystone and impost blocks. Recessed sash windows. Flemish-bond with blue headers and bright red brick dressings. Ovolo moulded plat-band. Hipped roof stable block has torus moulded plinth, and ovolo moulded high plat-band. High flat arch on N and sash windows of 3/3 panes. Interior said to have a painted ceiling and carving of the Grinling Gibbons school. (Pevsner (1977)143: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0545115430


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 143


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13863/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].