Garden urn at Beechwood Park School (40 metres to north of main entrance)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1100378
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
Beechwood Park School, Beechwood Park, Flamstead

Map

Ordnance survey map of Garden urn at Beechwood Park School (40 metres to north of main entrance)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100378 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 04:21:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
Beechwood Park School, Beechwood Park, Flamstead

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Flamstead
National Grid Reference:
TL 04534 14529

Details

TL 01 SW 3/16

FLAMSTEAD BEECHWOOD PARK (West side) Garden urn at Beechwood Park School (40 metres to north of main entrance)

GV II Garden urn. Circa 1860, stamped 'J M BLASHFIELD/MILLWALL & PADDINGTON/LONDON'. C18 pedestal re-used. Light buff terracotta urn on Portland stone pedestal.

Cubic stone pedestal on moulded base about 1 metre high. Very large terracotta urn with bowl about 1 metre diameter with its own square plinth and stem decorated in relief with lotus leaves. Scallop decoration with tendrils between to bowl with acanthus wreathed rim. One of a set of four identical urns, those on east front probably installed when the line of the drive was set back from immediately outside the entrance door in 1860. Blashfield (1830-1870) bought some of Coade's moulds in 1836 and opened a terracotta works, employing several sculptors and supplying urns for the Royal Palaces and the Royal Mausoleum at Windsor as well as statues and architectural ornaments. .

Listing NGR: TL0453414529

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157792
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bullard, I V , Flamstead its Church and History, (1902), 19
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 56

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05068/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].