HOME FARM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1100394

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: HOME FARM HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOME FARM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:16:13.

Location

Statutory Address: HOME FARM HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Little Gaddesden

National Grid Reference: TL 00102 12330

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE GADDESDEN LITTLE GADDESDEN TL 01 SW (East side) 2/202 Home Farm House -

GV II

Farmhouse, now a private house, C17 or earlier, hipped central clock tower c.1804 probably by Jeffry Wyatt, 2 crosswings demolished and brick casing 1877 for Lord Brownlow, subsequent extensions to rear and S end in 5 stages. Plum brick casing to timber frame with lighter red brick arches and clock tower (top stage stucco with circular dial) and steep pitched roofs now slated. A 2-storeys and cellar house facing W with 2-cells, central entrance, end-chimneys plan and parallel C19 rear range, adapted from a larger house in 1877. 2 windows to each floor and 6-panel door in base of central clock tower. Large early C18 red and black brick chequered chimney stack with corner pilasters at N end, 1877 copy at S end, and old bell cupola in centre with ogee roof, arcaded sides and wind vane. 2 storey gabled bay window on left of door with 4-light casements and weatherboarded gable. 3-light wooden casements on RH and single-storey extension set back to S. The roof sweeps in a curve down to the front eaves where the eaves have been raised without altering the roof structure internally. A painting by J.H.Buckingham c.1820 (Herts Countryside Nov.1976 p.30) shows the present house with higher 2-storeys and attics crosswings at each end, a buttressed entrance porch at the N end of the central range in line with the present C18 chimney, and the front eaves in line with the base of the stucco top stage of the clock tower. The cupola and bells is on the roof and there is a broken chimney in the position of the present S chimney. The clock is marked John Thwaites London 1804 like the Ashridge tower clock. The farm was the home farm to the Ashridge estate. (Senar(1983)105-6).

Listing NGR: TL0010212330

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 157733

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Senar, H, Little Gaddesden and Ashridge, (1983), 105-6

End of official listing