WOODSIDE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1100405
Date first listed:
02-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
WOODSIDE COTTAGE, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOODSIDE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100405.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 12:04:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOODSIDE COTTAGE, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Northchurch
National Grid Reference:
SP 97870 09455

Details

NORTHCHURCH NEW ROAD SP 90 NE (West side) Northchurch Common 3/231 Woodside Cottage -

- II

House. C18 or earlier, early C19 N wing. Red brick probably encasing a timber frame. Red brick extensions. Steep old red tile roofs. A 1½ storeys, 2 cells, end chimney plan house facing S, with single-storey hipped W wing and low 2 storeys early C19 rear wing. Later single-storey hipped E wing with lean-to in angle with rear wing. Internal gable chimney at W, external at E. Rear gable chimney to N wing. 2 windows to front with door between. 2 upper windows rise through eaves with swept roofs up to main roof. 2 stone steps to plank door. 3-light casement upper windows C18 on LH: RH renewed, 2-light below. All with leaded lattice glazing. Shallow rectangular bay window to left of door. Front has chamfered plinth and dentilled eaves course. Cast iron lattice casements to N wing. W gable roughcast over lower roof. Deep well in front of house with brick curb and wood winding gear. Said to have been the parish Pest House. (VCH(1908)246).

Listing NGR: SP9787009455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157763
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 246

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05068/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].