This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LOCK NO 48 AND BRIDGE NO 138 ON GRAND UNION CANAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOCK NO 48 AND BRIDGE NO 138 ON GRAND UNION CANAL

List entry Number: 1100407

Location

LOCK NO 48 AND BRIDGE NO 138 ON GRAND UNION CANAL, WHARF LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Northchurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157774

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTHCHURCH WHARF LANE SP 90 NE (south side) Dudswell 3/243 Lock No 48 and Bridge No 138 - on Grand Union Canal

GV II

Canal lock and roadbridge. Circa 1799 as a lock and bridge on the Grand Junction Canal (became Grand Union Canal by amalgamation 1929). Dates on gate hinge plates 1868 on lower gate, 1884 on upper gate. Buff brick with heavy stone edges to lock. Timber gates with timber beams on upper gates but iron beams on lower gates. Lock 88 ft by 16 ft to accommodate narrow- boats in pairs. Old timber bollard. Upper gates have ground paddles only, lower gates have gate paddles only. Humped brick bridge close to lower gates with quadrant brick steps between. Battered abutments and depressed round arch. Band marks base of parapet the courses of which follow the hump. Blue brick special weathered copings. A crossover bridge where tow path changes sides and each parapet alternately has a square terminal pier with stone capping and the other end tailing off parallel with canal. (Branch Johnson (1970) 118-20.)

Listing NGR: SP9658609736

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 118-20

National Grid Reference: SP 96586 09736

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100407 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2017 at 12:28:13.

End of official listing