This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1100436



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Flaunden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157636

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FLAUNDEN FLAUNDEN TL 0100 (North side) 11/109 Sharlowes Farm House 26.1.67 (formerly listed as Sharlowes farmhouse)


Farmhouse, now a private house. Circa 1500 open hall house with 2 cross wings, E parlour wing rebuilt later C16, mid C17 floor and chimney inserted in hall, brick casing in later C18 ('1768' cut into front of hall range), W wing cased and extended to rear in C19, S room of E wing extended to E and rear part of E wall rebuilt in C20. Timber frame cased in red brick, with diaper pattern in blue headers to hall range. Steep old red tile roofs. A U-plan medieval house facing S with a 1½ storeys former open hall flanked by 2-storeys gabled wings projecting to rear. Set back from road. S front has 3 windows and entrance at lower (W) end of hall range into wide S cross-passage with former axially divided service rooms in 2-bays opening on W, and C19 replacement of stair inserted with C17 chimney backing onto cross-passage. 3-light C18 casement windows with small rectangular leaded panes and iron opening frames, and segmental brick arches. Gabled dormer rises through eaves in middle. Small 2-light leaded casement window over door. C18 doorway with flat hood reset in C20 lean-to porch with 6-panel door. Large external red brick chimney at W end. Small brick extension at E end with French doors. Interior preserves frame of an open hall of 2 unequal bays, smoke blackened most in W bay, with a chamfered arched- braced-collar central truss to clasped-purlin roof with arched wind- braces. Wide cross-passage to W with 2 doors into 2-bays, 2 storeys W service cross-wing. This has jowled posts, clasped-purlin roof, curved wind-braces, cambered tie-beam on curved braces, collar and king-strut trusses, and wide spaced storey-height studs in walls. E parlour cross-wing has lower floor and ceiling levels and heavy 3-bays timber frame exposed externally to E and NE. Jowled posts, cambered tie-beams, straight tension braces, clasped-purlin roof with curved wind-braces. The wing is divided into 2 rooms on each floor with a cellar under the N end. Fragments of wall painting in both 1st floor rooms (N room monochrome allegorical figure and frieze inscription: S room less elaborate (E Clive Rouse suggests 1575 - 1590 for paintings (RCHM Typescript)). Insertion of floor in hall and chimney with new stair behind replacing separate stairs in each wing is dateable to mid C17 by stepped cyma stop to deep chamfered beam in hall. Brick chimneys serving the E crosswing probably date from its rebuilding. W external chimney of C17 or early C18 and presumably predates the mid C18 panelled room created in the SW room which has a pointed arched recessed cupboard with shaped shelves set in the old chimney,moulded dado rail and ovolo moulded panelling. A good late C17 bolection moulded firesurround re-used in N extension to W wing. Folding ovolo moulded panelled shutters inside window in hall. E wing front room has grooves for vertically sliding internal shutters to be stored below cill level of 3-light C18 casement window. Rear upper room of E wing has C18 moulded plaster ceiling cornice and 2-panes raised and fielded door. (Pevsner(1977)143: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0155100876

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 143

National Grid Reference: TL 01555 00877


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2018 at 09:44:22.

End of official listing