THE OLD COTTAGE RESTAURANT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1100448

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD COTTAGE RESTAURANT, 18, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD COTTAGE RESTAURANT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:41:36.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD COTTAGE RESTAURANT, 18, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Kings Langley

National Grid Reference: TL 07157 02762

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGS LANGLEY HIGH STREET TL 0702 (West side) 13/142 No. 18 (The Old 26.1.67 Cottage Restaurant) (formerly listed as No 18)

GV II

House, now a restaurant. C16 or earlier N crosswing, C17 short S hall range, early C18 red brick casing to ground floor front and rear gable. Timber frame with wide storey-height plastered panels at front, brick nogged on rear wall of hall range, red brick to front ground floor and rear gable, gable triangles hung with scalloped tiles. Steep old red tile roofs, hipped with gablet around S gable formerly external chimney with diagonal square shafts and moulded caps. A small T-plan house of 2 storeys with a cellar and part loft in the crosswing. E front facing street has gabled wing on RH flush with front of S range. One window to each floor in each part. LH part has flush 3-light cast iron lattice casements: RH part has similar 1st floor window but an early C18 small paned sash window of 3 equal lights to ground floor with trellis porch and door into end of crosswing on LH. Front possibly extended in early C19 about 1m to S. 3 early C18 narrow flush sash windows at 1st floor rear of crosswing (one blocked). Interior has heavy timbers with jowled posts and curved tension braces, large curved braces to cambered tie- beams of clasped purlin roof in 2-bay crosswing. Lower S hall range butted to crosswing has a cambered tie-beam, jowled posts and shutter rebate in wallplate at rear. Moulded mitred panelling engraved 'NK 1569 MK' flanked by scratch moulded panelling probably came from the former Manor House demolished in C19. C18 panelling to ground floor rooms with moulded cornice and heavy surround with moulded shelf to S room. Axial beam chamfered with bar stops.6-panel fielded door to left of fireplace. 2-panel door to stair in crosswing. Rebated timber frame for small cupboard in each jamb of fireplace. (RCHM(1911)135 No. 4: KLLHMS report 1979 in NMR).

Listing NGR: TL0715702762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 157673

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kings Langley Local History and Museum Society Report' in Kings Langley Local History and Museum Society Report, (1979)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing