CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1100458

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:55:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Chipperfield

National Grid Reference: TL 04326 01541

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPERFIELD THE COMMON TL 0401 (North side) 12/63 Church of St. Paul -

GV II

Church. 1837 by Thomas Talbot Bury, sanctuary N porch and NW vestry 1889. Uncoursed flint with stone dressings to porch, vestry and sanctuary but stucco elsewhere and steep slate roofs. An austere lancet style cruciform church with chancel, transepts, nave, N porch and NW vestry. W gable carried up as bell turret with cruciform coping. The liturgical 'East' is at the West end. The N transept is occupied by a large panelled organ with a vestry under. A fine undivided interior with tall single lancet windows (triple to E, N and S gables) with an open timber roof with scissor-braced principals, 2 purlins, and the cross-wing daringly open without trusses. 5 windows long nave, one window to chancel, and one to lower and more ornate sanctury with boarded segmental waggon ceiling and 4-light Dec style E window beyond wide arch in 2 chamfered orders with paired corbelled jamb-shafts. Carved oak choir stalls, octagonal stone pulpit 1911, octagonal panelled stone font with oak cover and green marble shafts to base 1889. Organ by Wm Hill and Sons London 1898 formerly at Belhaven Church Glasgow and erected here 1964. Polychrome stained glass windows 1863 to Rev Henry Dennis first incumbent in N transept and similar 1872 in E side of S transept to Rev W Vincent. Sober pine pews and York stone floor. Arcaded low wooden screen now separates 2 eastern bays. Fine stained glass window at E 1965 by John Hayward of Christ in a radiant vesica. Lithographs in vestry show original simple cruciform building with entrance central in E gable, where cill shows signs of having been lowered. (Kelly(1914)90: Pevsner (1977)128).

Listing NGR: TL0432601541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 157590

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 128
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 90

End of official listing