OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1100459
Date first listed:
02-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, 1-4

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100459 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 00:28:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, 1-4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipperfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 04311 01599

Details

CHIPPERFIELD THE COMMON TL 0401 (North side) 12/65 Nos 1-4 Old School House -

GV II

Village school, now 4 houses. 1840, W extension 1892, E gable and Victoria commemoration clock in gable turret 1897, converted to houses c.1980. Uncoursed flints with red brick dressings to doors, windows, quoins and verges. Stone dressings to E gable clock turret. Steep slate roofs with bands of spade-shaped slates. Shingled spire and vane to central cupola. An H-plan 1½ storeys block with lower recessed central part and gabled flanking wings. 3 windows front with small 2-light upper window in each gable, 4-light gabled dormer on roof slope centre, and gabled open porch to door on RH of centre. 4-light Gothic wooden casements with leaded glazing in chamfered brick openings with brick labels. Similar treatment to gable windows. Heads of front windows lowered leaving labels higher. Higher 1½ storeys matching W extension. Included for group value. (Kelly(1914)90).

Listing NGR: TL0442001656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 90

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01897/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Tony Briselden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].