THE RYDER MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1100485
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1975
Statutory Address:
THE RYDER MEMORIAL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RYDER MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:16:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RYDER MEMORIAL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Bovingdon
National Grid Reference:
TL 01489 03764

Details

BOVINGDON HIGH STREET TL 0103 (South end) 10/29 The Ryder Memorial 15.4.75

GV II

Wellhouse. 1881. By W. White FSA for Ryder family. Timber frame on red brick plinth with blue brick chamfered offsets. Steep pyramidal shingled roof. A small 5-sided timber structure in Medieval style. Moulded wooden corner piers with curved braces up to eaves - the whole structure open, on an oak sill and chamfered brick plinth. Wooden shingle pyramidal roof with wrought iron finial. Bears the following inscription on wallplate: 'This house with its well dedicated to ye beloved memory/of ye Honble Granville D Ryder, late of Westbrook Hay in this Parish/he was born November 26th AD 1799/and died 24th November 1879/was raised by his relations for/the use and comfort of his friends/ the Villagers of Bovingdon April AD 1881/Let them remember ye waters/that never fail S John IV 14'. The well itself has been covered over. (VCH(1908)216: Roberts(1975)No.30).

Listing NGR: TL0148903764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157556
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 216
Roberts, E, The Bovingdon Survey

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00393/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Susan Hall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].