CHRIST CHURCH WALTHAM CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1100564
Date first listed:
08-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH WALTHAM CROSS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH WALTHAM CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 03:45:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH WALTHAM CROSS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Broxbourne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 36002 01098

Details

1. 5251 CHESHUNT HIGH STREET (east side) Waltham Cross Christ Church Waltham Cross TL 30SE: 5/7 TL 3502: 12/7

II

2. Christ Church formerly Holy Trinity now shared by Methodist Church and Church of England. 1831-2 by E Blore. E parts remodelled 1914 by Ayres, porch added 1934. Yellow stock brick, stone dressings, slate roof. Plain version of Perpendicular. Symmetrical W front is 3 bays with taller gabled centre and 2 octagonal turrets with stone finials. 3-light arched window and early C20 belfry. Single-light, transomed side lancets. Stepped clasp buttresses. Stone capped plinth. Side elevations with crenellated parapets and 2-light windows divided by transoms. Continuous hood mould and sill course. Interior has undivided nave with open trussed roof. E end in plaster with stone dressings. 2 moulded chancel arches without imposts. Narrow aisles with vaulted arches at right angles. Traceried stone front on S side of nave and traceried wooden octagonal pulpit on N side. (Pevsner (1977) ).

Listing NGR: TL3600201098

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157342
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/10518/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].