CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1100628
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MALLING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100628 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 23:09:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MALLING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)
Parish:
Leybourne
National Grid Reference:
TQ 68949 58929

Details

LEYBOURNE CP MALLING ROAD TQ 65 NE (west side) 7/201 Church of St Peter and 25.8.59 St Paul

- II*

Church. C12, C1533, restored 1873-77 by Sir A Blomfield. West tower, nave, separate chancel, north aisle and chapel. Random rubble, tiled roofs. Tower: 4 stages, separated by bands, a re-casing of 1873-77. Embattled with inset machiocolations, and prominent water-spouts at corner. 2-light neo-Norman belfry openings, tall slits on 2 stages below and curvilinear west window. Nave: 2 bays with one C12 window to south. Chancel: one bay. North aisle and chapel: 3 two-light windows with square-headed surrounds. Interior: North arcade, C14 octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Chancel arch, double- chamfered, originally from north arcade. Fittings: Heart Shrine: Traditionally that of Sir Roger de Laybourne, d.1271. Double arched recess in single arch. 2 free-standing gabled caskets with geometrical patterning. 2 wrought-iron crowns. Monument, Louisa Brockman, d.1837, by J S Westmacott, 1866. Tablet flanked by relief figures.

Listing NGR: TQ6858258935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
179377
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].