This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1100724

Location

THE OLD TOWN HALL, 19, WYRE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bewdley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 156936

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 7875 SW BEWDLEY CP WYRE HILL (south side)

12/286 No 19 (The Old Town Hall)

22.4.50

- II

Probably a house, now a shop and house. Second half C15 with mid-C19 and some late C20 alterations. Timber-frame with painted brick infill and tile roof. Three framed bays aligned east/west, with an added brick bay to east; gable end stacks and a lateral stack on front wall. Two storeys, four windows: 2-light casements, with lateral stack between two to left; ground floor: to left-hand side: a boxed 6-pane sash with entrance to right which has a ledged and boarded door; to right-hand side a tiled pentice roof over two square bay windows with entrance between which has a wooden architrave and a half-glazed door; to right hand corner a garage with two-leaf door; to left-hand end the late C18 brick addition which is of,one storey with a dentilled brick cornice and a 2-light casement. Framing: originally two rectangular panels high; gable truss (to left) has two raking struts to collar and a clasped purlin. This building is traditionally said to be the original Bewdley Town Hall, but the structural evidence suggests it was an ordinary late medieval house. (VCH 4, p 304).

Listing NGR: SO7802775040

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 304

National Grid Reference: SO 78027 75040

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 11:02:01.

End of official listing