THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1100788

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, LOAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100788 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 00:52:52.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, LOAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Bewdley

National Grid Reference: SO 78642 75330

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP LOAD STREET (south side)

13/150 The Town Hall

22.4.50 GV II*

Town hall. 1808, probably by John Simpson of Shrewsbury, restored 1866 by Henry Rowe of Worcester. Ashlar, with slate roof, gable end stack. Two storeys, parapet with moulded cornice, central pediment with coat of arms over the central bay which is slightly advanced and has two pairs of Doric pilasters, outer corners also have single Doric pilasters; three windows: 15-pane sashes; ground: rusticated with three arches to open area; central arch larger with segmental head, the two flanking arches have segmental heads; all are filled by wrought iron gates, the grill over the central gate includes the arms of Bewdley. Behind the open area is closed by a wall with three openings with similar arches, that to left blocked, other two have half- glazed doors. Interior: upper room forms magistrates' court with early C19 flush panelled bench across one end. (BoE, p 85; H Colvin, 1978, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London, p 738; Hereford and Worcester Record Office BA 8681/58.

Listing NGR: SO7864375331

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 156795

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 85

End of official listing