Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1100827

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1985



Ordnance survey map of PYNCHFIELD MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 07:07:10.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 03383 91373


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


RICKMANSWORTH OLD UXBRIDGE ROAD TQ 09 SW (East side) West Hyde 8/215 Pynchfield Manor II

House. Late C15 or early C16. Floored in C17, cased and extended in C18, extended in C19. Timber frame with red brick nogging and casing. Red and stock brick additions. Some cement rendering. Tiled roofs, some slate. Originally a 2 bay open hall with a 4 bay cross wing forming a T on plan. Now all 2 storeys. Hall to right with entrance in original through passage position. C18 brick front. Ground floor right tall cross casement with cambered head. Dentilled brick eaves. 2 gabled dormers. Early stack between hall bays, rendered diagonal shafts. Gabled jettied cross wing projects to left with exposed framing, large panels and scantling. First floor jetty on curved brackets. Ground floor canted bay added. First floor rendered with a 2 light casement. Right return of hall has a French window with a cambered head, rendered gable with a 2 light casement. To rear is C18 or early C19 brick wing with a taller ridge. 2 bays. Ground floor French windows with cambered heads. Dentilled brick eaves. 2 half dormers, 2 light casements. To rear a ground floor canted bay, projecting rendered 1st floor with a 3 light casement. Rear gable end of cross wing has massive original external stack with burnt brick diapering and multiple offsets, 2 diagonal shafts rebuilt. Left return from front of cross wing has a C19 stack with offset, a ground floor 3 light casement, first floor glazing bar sashes. Extending to left and set back a C19 stock brick range. 2 bays, taller ridge, sashes and casements, extruded gable end stack. Extending further a 1 storey slate roofed outbuilding with 2 gables. Interior: cusped blind arcaded panels over hall fireplace lintel, blocked chamfered arched window to front wall. Ground floor stop chamfered binding beams. Cambered tie beams to roof, originally with crown posts. (VCH 1908: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TQ0338391373


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 158859

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)

End of official listing