Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100842.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2021 at 05:20:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Three Rivers (District Authority)
Croxley Green
National Grid Reference:
TQ 06974 95340


TQ 09 NE RICKMANSWORTH THE GREEN (Southeast side) Croxley Green

6/150 Church of All Saints


Parish church. 1870-2 by J. Norton. Extended 1907 by T. Moore. Smooth faced snecked stone extended in yellow brick with ashlar dressings. Machine tiled roofs. 4 bay nave, 2 bay chancel with N tower and organ bay extended to S with parallel 4 bay nave, 3 bay chancel with S porch and vestry. Gothic Revival Style with Free Gothic extension. Original W front pointed arched 4 light window, geometrical tracery, hoodmould. Continuous string course below sill level. Angle buttresses. Coped gable parapet with ridge cross. Nave to N has 3 pointed arched 2 light windows, cinquefoil lights, chamfered surrounds, hoodmoulds linked to roll moulded string course. Gauged stone segmental arched head and chamfered surround to entrance between 2 bays to W. Plinth. Nailhead eaves cornice. Coped gable parapet at E end of nave. Projecting from E bay of nave is tower, 2 lower stages square on plan. Plinth. 2 lancets with foiled heads under a round arch in string course to N, pointed arched entrance to W. Upper slit openings and clock faces. Bracketed cornice. Round belfry with 4 paired lancets with foiled heads, quatrefoil and trefoil friezes, heavily moulded cornice. Shingled conical spire. Vestry is brick on stone base with hipped roof and a stack. 3 light pointed arched E window with elaborate geometrical tracery. Coped gable parapet. Angle buttresses to N with string course rising over a single lancet and an upper trefoil on return. 1907 extension has alternating bands of stone and brick of varying widths, narrower nearer top. W end set slightly behind earlier nave. 3 pointed heads to W window with lights grouped 2:3:2, geometrical tracery and hoodmould. Upper pair of lancets with a cinquefoil and hoodmould. Tile coped gable parapet. Stone quoins to S. Porch in W bay, heavy plinth, double chamfered pointed entrance arch, hood mould with mask stops. Steeply pitched coped gable parapet. 3 pointed arched 2 light windows to nave, Y tracery, string course at sill level. Continuous roof over chancel with 2 similar windows to E and a pair of trefoiled and quatrefoiled lancets nearer nave. Lean-to vestry to S, 3 bays with small buttresses, square headed windows. Entrance in W return, 3 light window in E return. Chancel projects beyond earlier build with taller ridge. Two 3 light E end windows with simple foiled tracery, hoodmoulds. Stone quoins. Tile coped gable parapet. Interior: original chancel arch is pointed with florid respond capitals. Arcade separates builds, 2 massive round arches to a central pier with a moulded cap to nave, 1 round arch between chancels with stone quoined respond piers with moulded caps. Stone quoined buttresses in place of chancel arch in later build. Continuous wall passage to E, S and W of later build at sill level of windows in deep embrasures, string course below wall passage, blind lancets alternate with nave windows, moulded colonnette between 2 E windows, round arch over sedilia in chancel. Ceiled roofs, later build is 1 barrel vaulted space. C19 font, square bowl on octagonal stem with corner shafts, stained glass Christ in Majesty at original E end. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0697495340


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/09727/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Back. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].