This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST JOAN OF ARCS CONVENT HIGH SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST JOAN OF ARCS CONVENT HIGH SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1100848

Location

ST JOAN OF ARCS CONVENT HIGH SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158809

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 SE RICKMANSWORTH HIGH STREET (East side) Rickmansworth

9/166 St. Joan of Arc's 26.7.51 Convent High School

II

House, now school. c.1720-30. Red brick, tiled roof. 5 bays. 2 storeys and attic. Central entrance: 6 fielded panelled door, panelled reveals, moulded lintel and jambs, Ionic doorcase with engaged fluted columns, pediment. Glazing bar sashes in shallow reveals, gauged brick flat arched heads. 9 pane sashes in attic. Moulded brick plinth and cornice. Stone coped parapet. To rear: central entrance, panelled reveals, carved brackets to hood, moulded architrave. Glazing bar sashes with cambered heads. Ground floor canted bay added to right in C19. Left return plain with a projecting addition. Set back to right are 3 storey additions of 1929 not of special interest. Interior: open well stair with carved cheek pieces, moulded handrail, renewed balusters. Formerly The Elms, home of George Eliot.

Listing NGR: TQ0629394608

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 06293 94608

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:17:48.

End of official listing