This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1100851



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158818

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/175 Croxley Hall 26.7.51 Farm House


House. Late C16 almost entirely rebuilt in mid C19. Some timber framing remains with early red brick. Stock brick rebuild. Tiled roofs. Originally probably hall with parlour wing, rebuilt and extended. 2 storeys and attic. Gabled entrance porch to left, 4 centred arched head to entrance, cusped bargeboard. Further left a ground floor 6 light and first floor 3 light casements with cambered heads. To right an 8 light ground floor casement with leaded panes, cambered head. First floor two 3 light casements. Right bay projects slightly with gable to front, two 8 light casements, leaded panes, oculus in attic. Large cross axial stack to left possibly at original end. Roof half hipped to left. Right return has massive original red brick English bond external stack with an arched opening for a window into parlour, offsets, 3 diagonal shafts, part truncated. Entrance towards rear with timber porch with ornamented panels to base. Left return: cambered heads to 3 light casements. Rendered first floor addition. To rear: to right of 2 centre bays, red brick with exposed timber framing on first floor, to left French windows and first floor 3 light casement. English bond red brick base to projecting gabled wing to left. To right C19 wing projects further with a gable end stack. Interior: Late C16 or early C17 panelled parlour. (VCH 1908: RCHM 1910: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0703894544

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TQ 07038 94544


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100851 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 06:40:24.

End of official listing