CHURCH OF ST PAUL
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1100890
Date first listed: 03-Oct-1985
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100890 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:54:26.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Three Rivers (District Authority)
Parish: Abbots Langley
National Grid Reference: TL 08053 00569
TL 00 SE ABBOTS LANGLEY LANGLEYBURY
3/58 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. 1863-5 by H. Woodyer with funds provided by W.J. Loyd of Langleybury House(q.v.). Squared knapped flint with Bath stone dressings. Machine tiled roofs. Large church, tall in proportions, in a Gothic Revival Style. Nave with N aisle, S porch, W tower with prominent spire, narrower and lower chancel, S chapel, N organ bay and vestry. 3 stage tower. W entrance: strap hinged doors in heavily moulded pointed arch. Double plinth. Stone courses below windows. Paired lancets in N and S returns. String course to 2nd stage, geometrical tracery in W window, trefoil headed lancets and clocks to N and S. 3 stage diagonal buttresses to W. To S a semi-octagonal stair turret with a pointed arched entrance, slit windows, quoins. Upper or bell stage has 2 pointed arched louvred openings on each side with central shafts and cusped heads, intermediate and corner ashlar piers, corbelling to tall broached, shingled spire. S porch at W end of nave: heavily moulded pointed entrance arch with double shafted jambs, mask stopped hood mould, diagonal buttresses, kneelers to steeply pitched coped gable parapet with apex cross,initial relief panel. Returns have small triple lancets, plinth, stone bands. Inside porch are benches, dedication stone, arch braced roof, strap hinged doors in heavily moulded pointed arch with shafted jambs. Nave to S has pointed arched windows with curvilinear tracery. Buttresses. Stone band to close eaves to steeply pitched roof. To E a coped parapet with a ridge cross. 6 bay N aisle has an entrance with a trefoiled head, stiff leaf spandrels, 4 bays of double hollow chamfered mullioned 4 light square headed windows, with trefoiled heads to each light. Lean-to roof from just below nave eaves. N aisle W end cusped lancet. Chancel: large pointed arched 5 light E window with curvilinear tracery, short angle buttresses, kneelers to coped gable parapet, ridge cross. S return has a similar 2 light window, ball flower frieze to moulded stone band at eaves. S chapel with lower separate steeply pitched roof. 5 trefoiled lancets to S in triple roll moulded surrounds separated by recessed shafts, all ashlar, diagonal buttresses. Steps up to an entrance at W gable end, ashlar panel with shafts and empty shields and a lancet above. E gable end has a cellar entrance with a 2 light curvilinear traceried window. To N of chancel is organ bay attached to E end of N aisle. 4 lancets, cellar entrance, corbelling to hipped roof. Further E is lean- to vestry with an entrance and 4 quatrefoil lights. 3 light square headed window to E. Interior: 6 bay nave arcade, pointed arches, 4 half column cluster piers with moulded caps and bases, carved angels at springings of arches. Pointed chancel arch, richly carved with 12 angels to each side, full length musician angels on caps to respond shafts, stiff leaf ornament, carving all by T. Earp. Pointed tower arch with half column responds. Double arcade from chancel to S chapel with clustered shafts with stiff leaf caps to cusped arches. 1 similar arch to organ bay. E window has cusped inner archivolt with shafted jambs. S chapel S window has shaft mullions. Arch braced nave roof with cusped windbraces. Cusped braced chancel roof with brattished cornice, coffered and painted ceiling to tower. Fittings: Cornish serpentine font in tower with tall timber Gothic cover, semi-octagonal pulpit, shafted base, traceried with marble- inlay, low stone screen with quatrefoil marble inlay and traceried, initialed reredos all by Woodyer. Choir stalls with poppyhead finials, original seating. Monuments in S chapel to W.J. Loyd, d.1885, marble portrait medallion with 2 putti and to his wife, d.1893, lifesize seated angel with raised arm on a pedestal. Paintings by Mrs. Loyd in chancel and tower. Mosaics on E wall. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL0805300569
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 158704
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing