THE KING'S LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1100913
Date first listed:
02-Apr-1966
Statutory Address:
THE KING'S LODGE, 28, BRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE KING'S LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100913 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 04:34:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE KING'S LODGE, 28, BRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Three Rivers (District Authority)
Parish:
Abbots Langley
National Grid Reference:
TL 08354 00570

Details

TL OO SE ABBOTS LANGLEY BRIDGE ROAD (South side) Hunton Bridge

3/13 No. 28 9.4.66 (The King's Lodge)

II*

Former house, now restaurant. Late C15 origins, largely rebuilt c.1640. Late C18 brick refronting and extension, extended C19 and C20. Timber frame, red brick front and additions. Tiled roof. C17 3 bay lobby entry replacing hall with earlier service bay to left, extended by 1 bay at both ends. 2 storeys and attic. Carved bracketed hood over entrance. 4 ground floor 3 light casements with arched headed lights, gauged brick flat arched heads, 3 similar first floor windows without flat arches. Over entrance and in left bay early C20 floral neo C17 plasterwork panels, that over entrance dated 1642. C18 left bay has an entrance with a carved bracketed hood. First floor 3 light casement as on main range. C19 right bay has a ground floor 2 light leaded pane casement. First floor plaster panel. Dentilled eaves throughout. Cruciform axial ridge stack. Left end stack. To rear original parlour bay has a rendered gable with exposed purlins and a large double shafted C17 external stack with offsets. Gable and lean-to outshuts and a short C19 wing to rear right. Interior: early C17 plasterwork in ground floor room. Stuart Royal Arms with 'C R' and '1642' on chimney breast, flanking lion, unicorn and foliated fleur-de-lys with vine scroll border, ceiling with binding beams, 16 panels with vine scroll borders, fleur-de-lys, lion, unicorn, rosette and Royal Arms. Some exposed framing, ovolo moulded stop chamfered fireplace lintel. 1 storey C20 wing to rear not of special interest. (Country Life 9.4.43: M Puloy Herts Archaeology, vol.8, 1983, p. 163: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0835400570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158660
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 8, (1983), 163
'Country Life' in April, (1943)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02857/20
Rights: Copyright IoE John Reeve. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].