CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1100951

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, TOLLGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100951 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 12:46:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, TOLLGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)

Parish: North Mymms

National Grid Reference: TL 22127 04445

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

North Mymms TL 20 SW NORTH MYMMS TOLLGATE ROAD (south side)

11/281 Church of St Mary the Virgin 30.3.66

GV II*

Church. Mostly C14; upper parts of W tower mid C15. S Porch and Vestry added c.1860 when the whole church was restored. Rubble and flint walls. Stone dressings. Machine tile roofs. W tower has diagonal buttresses. C14 arched door in 2 orders with foliage capitals and squares. 3-light contemporary window above; those of 3rd and 4th stages in 1 and 2 lights of c.1440-50. N aisle has 3-light Decorated style windows. N chapel added 1328- 9. Circa 1970 N extension joins N aisle. Restored chancel walls and E window. Nave has 3 arcade arches on octagonal piers. Triple chamfered chancel arch with traces of intended crossing tower and transept arches. Good monuments. N chancel wall: c.1360 brass of priest, probably Flemish; 3 brasses on S wall of C15 and C16. Large standing monument on N side of chancel next to altar to John Lord Somers (d. 1716) by P Scheemakers: marble door at foot leading to vestry, life-size figure of Justice above against a white obelisk. N nave aisle has wall monuments of C18: corner monument to George Jarvis (d. 1716) with demi figure in niche tabernacle; to Lydia Mews (d. 1751): panel with fluted pilasters. Against N wall of nave aisle is C16 chest tomb with figure on top panel in inlaid lead outline. Nearby 1795 monument to J Hickson by J Bacon. Oak hexagonal C16 pulpit with shallow carved panels. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2212704445

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 158545

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing