NORTHAW PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1100972

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: NORTHAW PLACE, COOPER'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTHAW PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 22:31:56.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTHAW PLACE, COOPER'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)

Parish: Northaw and Cuffley

National Grid Reference: TL 27000 02465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Northaw TL 20 SE NORTHAW AND COOPER'S LANE CUFFLEY (west side)

12/229 Northaw Place

6.2.52

GV II*

House. Formerly residential school. Circa 1690. Said to have been built for Captain Moncey R.N. Altered early C19, c.1860 and late C19. Earliest part on E has 5-window N front, refaced c.1860 in cement. Banded ground floor. Square porch with detached Roman Doric columns their lower halves bossed. Balustrading. Slightly projecting centre window bay, the 1st floor window with pediment. Chamfered quoins. Sash windows with shallow-moulded surrounds. Extension on right with 3 moulded relieving arches and similar detailing. Large early and late C19 W additions. At right angles on W end is stable block of late C17 origin: C19/20 red brick with slate hipped roof. The ridge has large clock tower: square base with clock faces; dentilled open pediments; octagonal turret with columns and modillioned cornice; ogee lead hood; clock mechanism intact. Garden elevation to early house is red brick c1700. 1st floor band. Early C19 flush sash windows. Square porch has fluted Greek Doric columns and pilaster responds. C19 stucco eaves cornice. W extensions in yellow stock brick with gauged brick lintels.

Interior has very good c1700 staircase hall. Canvas wall and ceiling paintings in style of Verrio, depicting scenes from classical mythology. Barley twist balustrading. Hall and ground floor rooms with contemporary fielded panelling, the NE room and vestibule with frames for paintings, now removed, set over bolection-moulded fireplaces. NE 1st floor room with Chinese style paintings on rails and mutins of panelling, now painted over. (Pevsner (1977) ).

Listing NGR: TL2700002465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 158493

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing