THE FOLLY ARCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1100984
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
THE FOLLY ARCH, HAWKSHEAD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FOLLY ARCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 16:25:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FOLLY ARCH, HAWKSHEAD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)
Parish:
North Mymms
National Grid Reference:
TL 25458 03028

Details

Brookmans Park TL 20 SE NORTH MYMMS HAWKSHEAD LANE (north side)

12/262 The Folly Arch

6.2.52

- II*

Gateway and folly. Formerly S entrance to Gobions houses (dem. 1836). Circa 1740 for Sir Jeremy Sambrooke, probably by James Gibbs. Red brick. Large round-headed arch and thin square turrets. Battlemented. The arch has rusticated voussoirs. The turrets are in 3 stages and have slit windows in deep chamfered surrounds with gauged brick heads. 3 floor bands. Modillioned cornice imitating machicolation. Important landscape value. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2545803028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158526
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00480/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Fletcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].