CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101002
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, INCLUDING CEMETERY WALL AND GATE, ST ALBANS ROAD EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 14:45:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, INCLUDING CEMETERY WALL AND GATE, ST ALBANS ROAD EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Hatfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 22684 08802

Details

TL 20 NW HATFIELD ST ALBANS ROAD EAST (south west side)

8/201 CHURCH OF ST LUKE, including cemetery wall - and gate

- II

Cemetery chapel, built 1877. Extended as cruciform church in 1893 by H T Shillitoe. Rockface limestone with ashlar dressings. Steep pitched plain tile roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Early English Gothic style. N and S coped transept ends with triple lancets to nave. E window has 3-light bar tracery. Small gabled S porch. Open polygonal stone belfry on W gable. 1893 cemetery wall is in trellised red brick. Timber porch on left, the sides in 2 trefoiled arches. Cusped braces and bargeboard. Plain tile roof (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2268408802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158464
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15021/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].