CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101061
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101061 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 16:49:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Ayot St. Peter
National Grid Reference:
TL 21850 14971

Details

TL 21 SW AYOT ST PETER CHURCH OF ST PETER

5/32

-

GV II

Church, 1874 by J P Seddon. Polychromatic early Gothic style. Red brick with vitreous and white brick chequer pattern, diapering and banding. Flush stone dressings. Machine tile roof with terracotta cresting. Tall spire on S with square base sloping at angles to stone steeple and with mosaic clock on E face. Round apse has 1, 2 and 3 light lancets. Wider nave with recessed 2 and 3 light trefoiled lancets and multi-light W window with central rose. The interior is an exceptionally complete example of church furnishing about 1880. Chancel arch is an early work of the Martin Brothers. Stained glass in W window (1880) designed by Seddon. Barrel vaulted wooden nave roof. Font with floral frieze and marble pillars. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2185014971

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158292
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/14929/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].