This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SIKH COMMUNITY CENTRE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SIKH COMMUNITY CENTRE

List entry Number: 1101111

Location

SIKH COMMUNITY CENTRE, 48, KINGS CLOSE
SIKH COMMUNITY CENTRE, LADY'S CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1992

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158223

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1096 SE & TQ 1196 SW LADY'S CLOSE

9/10000 Watford County Court House

- II

Former County Court house. Circa 1858. Red brick facades in Flemish bond and dressings of blue brick and Portland stone; side and rear elevations stock brick. Roofs concealed by parapets. Red brick stacks. Plan: Front range contains entrances, offices and main stairs, with courtroom behind at centre and judge's chamber and court clerk's room at back. Cells now in side entrance block to south facing King Close. Classical style. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 1:2:1:2:1 bay west front to Lady's Close, centre and end bays break forward. Stone modillion cornice and blocking course and moulded stone band and plinth moulding. Ground floor round arch windows and doorways with blue brick dressings, stone voussoirs and imposts, the doorways in centre and end bays with panelled pilasters and carved capitals and semi-circular fanlights; panelled doors on right, the other doors blocked; sash windows with margin panes on ground floor. First floor 12-pane sashes in moulded brick architraves with small keystones and stone cills, centre in moulded stone eared architrave with panelled apron. Entrance block to King Close; 1 storey 3 bays, central doorway similar to those at front, flanked by large round arch windows with 2 stone arch lights with central colonette and large keystones rising into brick dentilled stone cornice above with blocking course and large Royal Arms at centre. Interior: Courtroom has walls with large blind arcade, panelled doors with moulded architraves and lantern concealed by C20 suspended ceiling. Open-well main staircase with stick balusters and mahogany handrail. Secondary stairs with wreathed handrail. Jurors' room at front on first floor with console brackets supporting ceiling beams.



Listing NGR: TQ1100496140

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 11004 96140

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101111 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 03:57:51.

End of official listing