This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1101117

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158138

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5259 CHURCH ROAD

TQ 19 NW 4/18 Church of St Andrew

II

2. 1853-7 by S S Teulon. South aisle 1865, North aisle 1871. Flint and stone Decorated Gothic church with North East tower, nave with gabled aisles and chancel with organ loft. and vestry. Plain tile roofs, fish-scale banded. 81' North East tower with paired traceried bell openings, angle-pinnacles and recessed octagonal lead cap. Five bay nave, 3 bay chancel with 2 elaborately carved windows each side. Five light East window. East end vestries and organ. South aisle with South West porch, transeptal gable, South East porch and at East end narrow lancet with, above, window of 3 grouped trefoils in moulded surround. Diagonal buttresses. Open timber roofs, arch braces on corbels. Octagonal and round piers, naturalistic foliage carving to caps of 2 Eastern piers and chancel arch. North aisle blocked off and modern ceiling. East end arcading and carved stone 'Last Supper' reredos. East window stained glass 1866 by Hughes, good stained glass in South aisle, South East window circa 1865 richly coloured, South West window with 9 Flemish C17 style roundels.

Building News 1857 931

Listing NGR: TQ1068997609

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in Building News, (1857), 931

National Grid Reference: TQ 10689 97609

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 09:31:56.

End of official listing