Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101120.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 09:09:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Watford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 11076 96316


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/01/2015

TQ 1196 SW 10/48 26.8.52 5259

CHURCH STREET Church of St Mary


Flint and stone church mainly C15. Hertfordshire type broad west tower, 3 stages, diagonal buttresses, battlements, north-east stair turret and lead spirelet. Low, broad 6-bay nave with clerestory. Low pitch timber roof with arched braces on corbels. Octagonal piers. Aisles. Chancel mostly C15, chancel arch and piscina C13. C15 south chapel much altered 1871. 1597 north chapel with Tuscan column to chancel opening and mullion and transom east window. Six light chancel east window. Major restoration 1871, J T Christopher, architect: exterior refaced, battlements added to tower, south aisle walls rebuilt and new roofs to south aisle, south and north chapels. Ornate stone font carved by Forsyth and stone reredos carved by E Renversey. Pulpit of 1714 by R Bull, carved borders to panels. Stem cut down 1848. Outstanding monuments in north chancel chapel, notably 2 wall monuments by Nicholas Stone: Sir Charles Morison 1598 and opposite, his son, also Sir Charles 1628. Wall monument to Lady Dorothy Morison circa 1618. Later marble tablets of ,note to Anne Denne 1790, by J Golden, to Henry Ewer 1667 and to J Vernon. Mid C18. Brasses to Hugh de Holes and his wife, early C15 and to 3 Morison retainers, early C17. French or Flemish vestment cupboard circa 1730 with carved reliefs. Royal arms painted 1736. C18 finials to tower removed 1871. Modern church hall extension to south.

RCHM 139.2 Architect 21.10.1871 and 6.10.1883

Listing NGR: TQ1107696316


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11546/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jane Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].