This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1101129

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, DURBAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158159

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 19 NW 4/24 5259

DURBAN ROAD Church of St Michael

II

1911-13 and 1926 by F B Bond. Free Gothic of C16 type. Flint with Bath stone dressings and slate roofs. Long nave and aisles with lean-to western narthex porch, 1911-13. Crossing tower, chancel north-east chapel and south transept/organ loft 1926. Flint fading not applied to tower and transept yet. Elaborate west front with stone bands and dressings. Main west window broad 2-centred arch with 5-light traceried window with traceried stone outer panels. Large stone mullions marking central 3 lights carried up to coped gable. Square corner buttresses to which spring stone flying buttresses, one diagonally from angle of narthex and aisle and one parallel to west front. Narthex with crenellated parapet and projected centre with big moulded arch and 3 stone framed niches above, central one at apex of coped gable. Three-sided projection at south-west corner for baptistery. Six bay nave with 3-light aisle windows and paired clerestory windows, square heads, cusped. Chamfered nave piers, moulded arches above die into piers. Arched braced ceiled roof springing from corbels over piers and at apex of arches. Transverse aisle arches. Stone rear arches to aisle and clerestory windows. Wide moulded tower arches with west rood beam. Apsidal east end to north-east chapel and two 3-light north windows. Chancel east end traceried with glazing to vesica shaped light only. Large organ gallery to south side, later C19 wooden Gothic organ front. Large wooden Gothic altar and reredos carved, with painted panels.



Listing NGR: TQ1015796331

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 10157 96331

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 04:51:28.

End of official listing