CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101130
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, EASTBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 08:41:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, EASTBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Watford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 11755 95311

Details

TQ 19 NW 4/29 5259

EASTBURY ROAD, North Oxhey Church of St Matthew

II

1880 by W H Syme of Watford. Red brick Gothic church with north-west tower and spire. Nave and aisles, chancel with 5 sided apse, small north and south transepts. Plain tile roofs. Lancet windows, single in aisles, double in clerestory and triple in transepts. Long single lights to apse. Moulded brick hood-moulds and strings. Some pressed brick ornament. Tower with 2 light bell-openings and broach spire above, brick with 3 stone bands. Open timber roofs, principal arch braces carried on wall-shafts in nave, similar shafts to brick chancel arch. Boarded chancel roof. Pressed brick frieze below clerestory. Early C20 carved oak pulpit lectern, screen (now at west end) and altar rails. In north aisle is original elaborate painted wood reredos circa 1880-90 by J E K Cutts, moved from chancel. In south transept luminous stained glass circa 1916 by Carl Parsons. Builder 29.5.1880.

Listing NGR: TQ1175595311

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158160
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 29 May, (1880)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/16077/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Sidell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].