This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101185



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nettleden with Potten End

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157989

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/208 Crossways -

- II

House. 1911 for Mr. Spencer Holland. Brick roughcast with steep hipped red tile roofs. A pretty Queen Anne Revival house of 2 storeys and attics facing W with symmetrical W front flanked by single-storey small square pavillions with steep pyramidal roofs topped by small louvred lanterns. Brick plinth, plastered floor band, heavy wooden modillioned eaves cornice, 6 1st floor flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes and external shutters (2nd window from each end has no shutters). Shell motif over 6-panel door flanked by small windows in 4-pilaster doorcase with deep barrel-vaulted panelled wooden porch on 2 Tuscan columns. Wider 8/8 panes sash window with shutters each side of porch. Small circular window to each pavillion. Elaborate S front with 2 windows with shutters on each floor to each side of recessed centre with balcony with turned balusters carried on 4 consoles of 4 pilasters flanking door to garden. 2 flat topped dormers on roof slopes. E front simpler with twin canted ground floor bay windows linked by hipped tile roof. Thoughtfully detailed but not elaborate interior. Date '1911' on plinth of sundial at centre of forecourt.

Listing NGR: TL0186608134

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 01866 08134


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101185 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2018 at 10:34:39.

End of official listing