STONEHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101194
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
STONEHOUSE, VICARAGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STONEHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 08:05:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
STONEHOUSE, VICARAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Nettleden with Potten End
National Grid Reference:
TL 01580 09096

Details

TL 00 NW NETTLEDEN WITH VICARAGE ROAD POTTEN END (South side) Potten End

5/224 Stonehouse -

GV II

House. Early C17, C18 brick front and rear outshut (possibly incorporating earlier stair tower), mid C19 rebuilding of N part and roof there (possibly 1863 when leased by Ashridge Estate to John Lane the nurseryman of Balshaw Nurseries), C20 low W wing. S end of uncoursed knapped flint with red brick dressings (name recorded in later C17 indicates flint was unusual in houses of the period), C18 red and blue brick to S half of E front and plastered red brick rear wall, C19 grey brick N half of E front, N end, and N part of W wall. Buff brick low W wing. Red tiled roofs, hipped S end. A 2-storeys L-shaped house facing E with 2 windows to each floor and central door. Segmental arches to recessed 2-lights casement windows. Flint S wall has had windows altered in C19 with one window above two 2-light casements. S part of house has a fine ovolo moulded axial floor beam c.1620 with rebated rib moulding along the edges of the joists. (Bryant (1982) VI 5).

Listing NGR: TL0158009096

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158005
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03164/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].