SOUTH BRIDGE AT WATER END OVER THE RIVER GADE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101225

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: SOUTH BRIDGE AT WATER END OVER THE RIVER GADE, LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD (A4146)

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH BRIDGE AT WATER END OVER THE RIVER GADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101225 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 22:18:23.

Location

Statutory Address: SOUTH BRIDGE AT WATER END OVER THE RIVER GADE, LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD (A4146)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Great Gaddesden

National Grid Reference: TL0402510319

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 01 SW 3/107 22.10.52

GREAT GADDESDEN LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD(A4146) Water End South Bridge at Water End over the River Gade (Formerly listed as Two Bridges over River Gade)

GV II

Road bridge over River Gade. Circa 1800 when road realigned (Branch Johnson (1970)113), widened on E side 1976 by Herts County Council. Red brick in English-bond with stone dressings. A humped bridge in medieval style of 3 pointed arches each of 20ft span with 4 stone-capped cutwaters linked by a moulded string course. Deep-chamfered brick rib to soffit a little inside front arch. Chamfered stone dressing to plinths from which arches spring, linked by weir under bridge and marking water level on reconstructed upstream face. Moulded stone cappings to brick parapets splayed at ends and terminated by octagonal brick piers. (Branch Johnson (1970): ex inf County Surveyor's Dept)

Listing NGR: TL0402510319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 157886

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 113

End of official listing