Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101228.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Mar-2021 at 23:03:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dacorum (District Authority)
Great Gaddesden
National Grid Reference:
TL 04304 09597


GREAfGADDESDEN LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD(A4146) TL 00 NW (West side) Water End 5/112 Gaddesden Hall 22.10.52

- II*

Manor house. S wing has late medieval crosswing and hall range rebuilt in last quarter of C16 with flint walling, large rear chimneys and stair tower, probably for Martha Jermyn. Attic storey created and stair heightened in late C17, porch removed and crosswing altered for new entrance in C20. E wing a separate hall and crosswing house in C17 when hall floored over, brick cased and extended to N in C20. Originally all timber framed but now S wing of uncoursed flint with brick dressings, and E wing cased in C20 red brick. Steep old red tile roofs. A large, irregular L-shaped house facing N, with 2-storeys and attics S range entered by lower gabled E crosswing. Adjoining E range has small gable marking the former hall and N crosswing adjoining E side of crosswing of S range. The gabled C20 N end of the E range has a window on each floor and a 3-shafts external chimney. 2 2-light casement windows to each floor of S range, on the ground floor deeper with transoms. Battened door up 3 steps with side lights, label, and window over. Tall 2-shafts chimney on front wall to RH of door. 2-storeys gabled porch formerly at RH end of N front of S range shown on Buckler dwg of 1832 in HRO. Large C16 chimney stack projects from rear of S range with 3 diagonally set square shafts and plinth course which continues round stair tower projecting to E of it with corbelled course marking its original height and gabled top part added in C17 with 2 similar chimney shafts in its E wall serving the crosswing. Interior has timber framing exposed in E wing, chamfered beams, and fine 4-centred arched stone moulded C16 fireplaces in S range hall, and more elaborate with vine-scroll spandrels and roll-mouldings in S range parlour. Early C18 panelled entrance hall with fielded panels and corner fireplace. E wing has double-ovolo moulded ceiling beam, serpentine splat balustrade to staircase, and evidence of heightening. Main roof of 3-bays with clasped purlins and convex-curved wind-braces. This was the manor-house of the manor of Southall (a sub-manor of Great Gaddesden) first recorded in 1200. Originally called Southall, then Oliver's Place after Robert Oliver who held it in 1448, but Gaddesden Hall since C17. A farmhouse up to 1914. (VCH (1908)203-4: RCHM (1911)101: Pevsner (1977)151: Bryant (1982) I, 5-6: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0430409597


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 203-4
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12399/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Sidell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].