WALL WITH POSTING BOX OUTSIDE GLEBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101230
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
WALL WITH POSTING BOX OUTSIDE GLEBE HOUSE, PIPERS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL WITH POSTING BOX OUTSIDE GLEBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101230 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 19:23:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALL WITH POSTING BOX OUTSIDE GLEBE HOUSE, PIPERS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Gaddesden
National Grid Reference:
TL 02760 11121

Details

GREAT GADDESDEN PIPERS HILL TL 01 SW (North side) 3/115 Wall with posting box - outside Glebe House

GV II

Wall with posting box. C18 wall, posting box 1861 (of the earliest type of wallbox used in this county, only 2 remain, here and at Hexton c.1860) of the type in use by Post Office 1859-1861. By Smith and Hawkes of Birmingham. Cast iron, painted red, set in short red brick roadside wall, about 1.5m high. Narrow box front 10 inches wide x 30 inches tall. Pedimented top with hood bearing the words 'POST OFFICE'. Small aperture under hood has metal flap and 'LETTER BOX' on lower rim. Door divided into 3 horizontal panels; upper one has royal cipher 'VR' with crown and the words 'CLEARED AT'; blank middle panel for impermanent gunned or painted table; the lower contains the lock. Large fixed panel below door with maker's name at bottom. (Branch Johnson (1970) 135).

Listing NGR: TL0275411115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157894
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 135

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01102/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].