This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NORTH BRIDGE ON A4146 AT WATER END OVER THE RIVER GADE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH BRIDGE ON A4146 AT WATER END OVER THE RIVER GADE

List entry Number: 1101236

Location

NORTH BRIDGE ON A4146 AT WATER END OVER THE RIVER GADE, LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD A4146

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Gaddesden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157909

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT GADDESDEN LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD (A4146) TL 0310 10/130 North Bridge on A4146 22.10.52 at Water End over the River Gade (Formerly listed as Two bridges over River Gade) GV II

Road bridge over River Gade. Circa 1800 when road realigned (Branch Johnson (1970) 113), restored and parapet raised 2 courses 1976 by Herts County Council. Red brick with random black headers in English-bond with stone string courses and copings to parapet. A long narrow bridge, slightly humped to centre, of 3 pointed arches, 4 brick cutwaters, and brick parapets splaying out at ends and terminating in octagonal brick piers. The bridge has not been widened and differs from the widened South Bridge (q.v.) in having brick cappings to the cutwaters and having its moulded stone string at road level extended along the abutment walls to the terminal piers. It also has 3 moulded circular cast iron tie-rod plates over each arch. There is a chamfered brick rib just within the mouth of each arch. A chamfered stone offset to the plinth provides the springing for the arches. Plinths linked by a weir near the upstream side where water level is just below this stone offset. (Branch Johnson (1970): inf County Surveyor's Dept).

Listing NGR: TL0365210538

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 113

National Grid Reference: TL 03652 10538

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 12:47:06.

End of official listing