THE WHITE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101250

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HOUSE, VALLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHITE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101250 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 15:43:45.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HOUSE, VALLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Flamstead

National Grid Reference: TL 05569 14436

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLAMSTEAD VALLEY LANE TL 01 SE (South side) 4/61 The White House - - II

House, now 2 houses. Circa 1740 for Beechwood Estate (Unusual eaves cornice also at Hill Farm nearby q.v.), SW wing and converted to 2 houses in early C19, one house in early C20, divided in later C20. Red brick in English-bond with some black headers, painted externally, weatherboarded timber-frame rear outshut with brick walled bakehouse. Painted brick rear wing has brick-on-edge to 1st floor. Timber frame gable triangles with exposed timbers. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys, 4 windows long house facing N with lower 2-storeys SE rear wing with gable chimney, lean-to outshut to rear, and porch in SE angle with rear wing. A 4-bays, internal chimney, lobby-entry plan house. Projecting gable chimneys and staircases beside them, probably introduced for C19 division when a large bread oven was probably built to rear of central chimney where the original stair may have risen. Symmetrical N front has plinth and ovolo moulded eaves course with projecting headers. 4 windows to each floor and recess over central door. 3-light casement windows and segmental arches to ground floor. Plank door in heavy frame with tiled gabled rustic porch. At rear oven chimney central outside rear wall in plum brick. Clasped-purlin roof with collar and tie-beam trusses and straight wind-braces at gable ends. Wider bays flank narrow chimney bay in middle, end bays shorter. Fire surround c.1815 with fret front cast iron grate. Separate rainwater and drinking water wells at rear. House marked Valley Lane Cottage on map.

Listing NGR: TL0556914436

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 157841

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing