10 TOMBSTONES GROUPED IN 2 ROWS OF 5, 10 METRES AND 12 METRES TO WEST OF CHURCH TOWER IN CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101263
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
10 TOMBSTONES GROUPED IN 2 ROWS OF 5, 10 METRES AND 12 METRES TO WEST OF CHURCH TOWER IN CHURCHYARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10 TOMBSTONES GROUPED IN 2 ROWS OF 5, 10 METRES AND 12 METRES TO WEST OF CHURCH TOWER IN CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 06:58:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
10 TOMBSTONES GROUPED IN 2 ROWS OF 5, 10 METRES AND 12 METRES TO WEST OF CHURCH TOWER IN CHURCHYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Gaddesden
National Grid Reference:
TL 02836 11253

Details

GREAT GADDESDEN GREAT GADDESDEN TL 01 SW (North side) 3/103 10 tombstones grouped in - 2 rows of 5, 10m and 12m to West of church tower in churchyard GV II

10 tombstones. Further row:- Jeremiah Rolph of Gaddesden Row 1789, Mary Rolph 1800, Mary Davison 1829, Joseph Davison 1833, Mary Arnott Chennells 1833 (with half-round section grave slab to this grave). Row nearer tower:- Charlotte Rolph 1822, Jeremiah Rolph 1830, Sarah Rolph 1836, Caroline Cooper 1817, Thomas Cooper 1834. White freestone. The slabs each about 1.5m high and quite broad, consciously follow a single design and are set as a group. Each has a moulded segmental head and deep band of carved decoration above the inscribed plain field. In each the ornament is to the same pattern but with variations in execution. An open book is placed central on a bracket supported by symmetrical acanthus scrolls. Winged cherubs' heads flank the book and the frame is completed by a heavy moulded scroll or truss at each end.

Listing NGR: TL0283611253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157882
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01102/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].