REMAINS OF ORIGINAL HOUSE (NEW PLACE) AT GILSTON PARK 125 METRES EAST OF HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101279
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF ORIGINAL HOUSE (NEW PLACE) AT GILSTON PARK 125 METRES EAST OF HOUSE, GILSTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF ORIGINAL HOUSE (NEW PLACE) AT GILSTON PARK 125 METRES EAST OF HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 05:00:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF ORIGINAL HOUSE (NEW PLACE) AT GILSTON PARK 125 METRES EAST OF HOUSE, GILSTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Gilston
National Grid Reference:
TL 44240 12912

Details

TL 4412 GILSTON GILSTON LANE (west side)

9/2 Remains of original house (New Place) at 24.1.67 Gilston Park 125 metres E of house

- II

Garden building. Early C19 porch (appears first in Buckler drawing of 1830: RCHM Typescript) from New Place, surviving in the park as a garden feature. The'old house was rebuilt c1852 as Gilston Park, on a new site to W, by P C Hardwick for John Hodgson. Reddish stucco, lined and textured as stonework, on a sandy-red brick core, and incorporating armorial decorations and marble bust of Elizabeth I. Fragments of a decorated plaster ceiling inside. A small shallow rectangular porch approach up 3 rough stone steps and facing S. Octagonal buttresses to front corners carried up to finials above parapet. Wide central openings front and back with depressed 4-centred arched heads. Rear opening now blocked. A small square-headed window on each flank wall. Chamfered rear corners. Moulded plinth, string course and parapet coping. Large coat of arms and motto scroll in relief, set high up on rear wall. At front, moulded string course at impost level carried up as dripmould over the arch. The parapet breaks up over a central round-headed niche containing a white stone bust of Elizabeth I with ruff on a later base. In a triangle of greyer stucco below is inscribed the date '1583' and in the spandrels are boldly moulded roundels of the old and new Royal Arms with the Garter, with motto. Inscribed in the stucco in 2 lines across the front above these is "FEAR. GOD. OBAYE. THE. RIAL. QUEEN/Spaines Rod; Romes Rvine; Netherlandes Reliefe; Earthes joy, England's gemme, World's Wonder, Natvres Chieffe". Interior has diagonal chequered black and white marble paving and the remains of an ornamental plaster ceiling to the flat timber roof, panelled with square Gothic plaster motifs. An interesting early C19 stucco 'Tudor' porch from New Place representing surviving features from the historic house New Place. Now a garden building of group value with the new house, Gilston Park, of 1852.

Listing NGR: TL4424012912

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159917
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/15378/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Elaine Allen . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].