THE TOWN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101288
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HOUSE, BALDOCK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101288 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 11:05:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HOUSE, BALDOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Cottered
National Grid Reference:
TL 31679 29283

Details

TL 3129 COTTERED BALDOCK ROAD (south side)

5/10 The Town House (formerly listed as Church Cottage) 22.2.67 GV II

Block of 3 almshouses, now one house. '1767' cut in brick beside central cartouche. For Rev. Angel Chauncy who left £200 to build a house for the poor to replace properties in the churchyard. Red brick 'with black headers, fine red brick dressings and dentilled eaves cornice, rusticated stone quoins and central cartouche, and steep old red tile roof, extending as a catslide over the continuous rear outshut. A large, one and a half storeys building facing E. Symmetrical E front with central door under stone cartouche carved with arms. 6 windows (the outer ones formerly doors). Segmental arches to 2-light headed casements. 3 hipped dormers, similar at rear. 2 central red brick chimneys (VCH (1914) 232).

Listing NGR: TL3167929283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159839
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 232

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07384/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].